Sunday, July 31, 2011

This One's for the Dogs

Sunday mornings...ahhh...my favorite!  The house all to myself, reserved for light cleaning, facebooking, coffee drinking, paper reading and music listening.  The only sounds, besides my music and my fingernails hitting the keyboard, are those of the roosters; not only of my own rooster, Marvin, but the neighbors on each side of me as well.

As I skim the front page of the paper, pull out the coupons to review another time, and read the obituaries I can feel my heart start to pound a little harder knowing that the sale ads await.  Ahhh, sale ads.  This "ahhh" is not similar to the Sunday "ahhh" but more of an excited, can't contain myself, ahhh. 

While I rarely find myself planning my shopping around them, because my list has grown all week whether the item is on sale or not, I still find joy in looking at every item and its sale price in the abundance of circulars that have been not so carefully stuffed into my Sunday paper.  I find them all quite entertaining however, I do have a favorite. TARGET.  Yay for Target! 

Recently, our Target started selling grocery items so now I'm finding it my one stop shop unless I'm in need of "BIG" grocery shopping. That's a code that John and I have for, "I'll be getting a cart, going down every aisle, and you probably don't want to go with me."  Along with this addition of grocery items they have had to completely rearrange the store which I gotta say, is quite frustrating!  I usually write my lists out by aisle because I, at one time, had that store memorized. Not so much anymore.  So, with my little trip to Target today there were a few things on my list that are worthy of sharing. 


Target's Up & Up Make-A-Size Paper Towels
I'm a paper towel freak.  I also wash my hands a ton and find that using a dish towel to dry them seems counter productive, hence, the paper towel!  Target's "UP" brand is the best paper towel around. They have them in full sheet size and also "make-a-size" which comes with half sheets pre-perforated. (not sure if that's a word but pretty sure you know what I mean)  I have friends that only use Bounty and I have found that Bounty paper towels, while they may be the "quicker picker upper", leave my hands smelling after I dry them.  Again, seems counter productive to me.  I buy the 8 pack of the "make-a-size" because they are perfect for those smaller jobs.  Now, here's the silly part.  I have no idea how much they cost.  I KNOW they are cheaper than Bounty but I can't find my receipt for the life of me and sure enough, they don't sell them online.  Then again, who would buy paper towels online, anyway, right? So, you'll just have to take my word for it. They're great, they cost less and they don't make your hands stinky after you dry them. 



My second deal of the day is Target's Boots & Barkley Mini Franks, a treat for dogs. I have 4 dogs and one of them is on medication. Whenever I give Charlie his medication I always reward him with a treat because I figure the taste of that pill is probably nasty even though I do try and shove it down his throat. Well, how do I give just 1 of my 4 dogs a treat? I can't. So, whenever I yell, "Come here Charlie, it's time for your medicine," they all come running because they have learned that as soon as Charlie opens up the hatch and lets mom shove a pill down his throat they are getting a mini frank! Hail to the mini frank, a.k.a. Snausages! These are exactly like the treat known as Snausages but at half the cost! I pay just $2.14 for a 9.75 oz bag so whenever I go to Target I stock up on these things. Pretty sure that as soon as I walk in the door the dogs recognize the Target bags and are secretly thanking me from the bottom of their little puppy hearts.
4-pk Rawhides

Sorry, but my last deal is also for a dog but this is way too good of a deal to pass up if you buy these for your furry friends. Last weekend, John and I went to Petco to see about getting Charlie some medicated shampoo. The summer months really give him some bad allergies and he was itching furiously. Whoa..I'm getting off topic here. ANYWAY, we strolled by the rawhides and figured we needed to get some for our pooches but.... wait a minute. $9.99 for 2 rawhides? Are you kidding me? I have 4 dogs! That price just wasn't going to cut it. So, today during our Target adventure we looked at their rawhides and dang is Petco ripping people off!!! We found the same size rawhides for just $2.99 for 2! (The picture shows the 4-pk.) Needless to say, we bought our boys (yes, all 4 of my dogs are boys), new rawhides. Wait a minute,... now I'm starting to think that their little thank yous were for the rawhides and NOT the mini franks. Oh well, it's ok. They don't need to thank me for anything. I should be thanking them every day for the joy they bring to my life.


So, while this evening's blog is pretty much all about the dogs, I dedicate it to the homeless pups, living in shelters or on the streets who need a family to open their homes and hearts. I also write this in memory of "Joli" who had to be put to rest today and is now living over the rainbow with our Miko Boy.



Joli      
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
- Gilda Radner

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered about "other" paper towels! We use Bounty and nothing but, however I would love to save some dough!

Thanks, Erin!!!

Cristy

Marisela58 said...

very nice Erin. I enjoyed today's post.

Unknown said...

Wow Erin, I really enjoyed reading your blog as well! :). Dogs are absolutely the best!!

"Simplifried" said...

Nice one my dear. It seems like such a routine subject but you bring it to life. Of course, I will always enjoy reading what you are up to these days.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Erin, how nice to be able to buy so many things for dogs at a bargain. Items for dogs are so limited here and expensive but it is good if not, I will spend a lot on my Ruby for sure! hehe.

1-2punch said...

Thanks for the doggy treat tip, I will check them out!

littlebit4u@roadrunner.com said...

Good comments on paper towels and doggy treats. Paper towels are important to me even though I do think about all the trees we're killing to have them. I didn't know about Joli...I'm sorry. Joli was very sweet.